Want to Help?
1. The first thing you can do is simple – just support us! Some days we are overwhelmed with the emotions we feel in missing Mackenzie, and we get strength from others through messages of support. This is what will help to push us along during those days;
2. If you are planning on having children (whether your first, second, third or more) have the genetic carrier testing. Please don’t ignore the message that we are promoting in Mackenzie’s name. Don’t think it won’t happen to you.
3. Use any platform you have to spread Mackenzie’s story and the need for genetic carrier testing before pregnancy or in early pregnancy. Whether that is by word of mouth, using Facebook, Instagram or whatever platform you have access to and are comfortable using. If you aren’t sure what to say please just refer back to my Genetic Testing blog post.
4. Surprisingly, one of the main communities we need to reach are GPs. So next time you visit your GP ask them if they know about SMA or other recessive genetic disorders like cystic fibrosis, and genetic carrier testing. If they don’t know, please tell them about it.
5. This website is not about donations, however if you would like to make a donation I can recommend some wonderful places who do exceptional work and that have touched our lives enormously:
· Sydney Children’s Hospital – in particular the Neuro Muscular Team led by Dr Michelle Farrar that specifically researches SMA
· The Royal Hospital for Women – they looked after us so well when Mackenzie was born and have continued to support us through losing her. They have also helped us to help raise awareness of genetic testing.
· The Starlight Foundation – they gave us the gift of a trip to Broome straight after Mackenzie was diagnosed. They gave us memories which we will treasure forever.
If you can do even one of these things, you will be helping us to do this in Mackenzie’s name.
Thank you all xx